Welcome!

~ Let’s live for today ~ Yesterday is history ~ Enjoy your life while you can ~ For tomorrow may never come ~ Cherish all of your today’s ~ As if they were a glass of rare wine ~ Savor them, sip them slowly ~ For tomorrow they are gone.~

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day is here and the morning started off busy, did not hit the hay until 4 and my phone starting ringing at around 7. But everything is cooked and almost ready to be pack in the car. I will be spending this afternoon with Lisa and when Heather gets off work, her and Corey will be coming.

The food smells so good and the ham is yummy! Andy and I got into the ham, we wanted to make sure it was done.  ~ laughing~  Then I decided to write a little in mom's old rocking chair out on the patio with a cup of coffee, as I listen to Christmas music.

We are blessed with beautiful sunny weather today, with a little chill in the air. The cool breeze has me snuggling in my robe as I watch a few wild cats and kittens playing by the patio. They are trying to get their nervous up to come inside the fence to get some food. Plus Andy and Roxie has their nose pressed against the sliding door, they look so cute and innocent. ~smile~

Lisa just text and wanted to know when I was coming, so I guess this is a clue for me to get up and get started again.   I feel so good today and so blessed.

I will continue this later tonight....

Heather & Andy
Corey & Lisa

I had a wonderful time over at Lisa, we had way to much food. I am sure the animals will have a great feast in a day or two. ~smile~

On the drive home with Andy by my side, I thought about home and Thanksgiving past. Thinking how many people would come to my parents home and the many times Dad would put together a make shift table from plywood and horses to put the food on. There would be enough food to feed an army, with all my aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins and little one. When we got older, we would invite friends as well, that had no place else to go. Mom and Dad always welcomed them, with open arms and they would become family as well.

Mom and her sisters would start a week ahead making all kind of cakes, and pies. You could catch the scent of spices when you came through the back door and you could hear laughter coming from the kitchen. If they heard about a family in the neighborhood that didn’t have much, they made food for them as well.

On Thanksgiving day we would gather around in the kitchen or den when we grew as a family for prayer. Dad always gave thanks and when he passed on, one of my brothers took over. The men would gather around the table, while the wives would fix the children plates and then they would go to the den to eat. There would be no TV on during this time but a lot of talking and laughing instead. Once the kitchen was clean everyone usually headed outside to play softball together in the back field.

Even when dad passed away, my mom still wanted the holidays the same. But over the years and so many passing, our family grew smaller. Even last year while back at home, mom and I cooked. She couldn’t do much but she tried and I was so blessed to have that time with her. Some times I wonder if this would be our last Thanksgiving together and it was. There will be no more gathering like before.

But this year, I am so thankful that my parents picked me to be their daughter. To have been part of a family with so much love, who opened their heart and home to so many.

Even though at times we would fight among each other, we were a close family and never stayed mad long. It was love, prayer and a firm hand that held us all together.

I miss those days and I will always treasure them.